- MEDIA ˇ
- GAME ˇ
- DEVELOPMENT ˇ
Running a game with thousands of players play in the same world and updating the clients in real-time presents some challenges. As the amount of players grows, so does the demand for stability, predictable performance and most of all, scaling. We are looking for someone to join the team that takes care of this codebase.
Can you handle 7 million soldiers? Can your code?
We have completed the scheduled maintenance ahead of schedule and are now ready to reopen the servers.
Alongside the backup upgrades we also added a few backend fixes that should help the strategy game run a bit smoother, including a fix for stuck supply units.
To celebrate AND boost the US morale after the last war, here is an AWESOME new video from SemperFi.
We are still working hard to increase the current player limit. A series of hotfixes and optimizations will be rolled out as soon as we have tested them properly – hopefully today.
These hotfixes will most likely allow us to have a higher cap on the servers than the current 2200 concurrent players, but it is still too early to tell what the cap can be raised to – we will roll out the fixes and slowly turn up the cap until the servers starts to misbehave.
We will also introduce a login queue, so you can get into the game in a more controlled manner, and at the same time you’ll be able to see your place in the queue.
Please go to this forum thread to see all updates:
We have just uploaded the first hotfix of the Oster build. This new hotfix addresses both a handful of bugs that we’ve found over the last couple of days as well as a few tweaks.
- Machine guns (M1918, MG34, M1919 & MG42): Range increased, and “far Damage” lowered
– this has the effect that the weapons will damage enemies further away.
- Sub-machine guns (MP40 & Thompson): Near damage buffed, range increased
– this makes the SMGs a bit more effective
- Semi-Auto rifles (M1 and G43): Range increased
– this makes the weapons a bit more effective at range
- Head damage multiplier upped from 3 to 4
Other Tweaks & Fixes
We are looking for a programmer to join the Heroes & Generals team (http://www.heroesandgenerals.com).
Your focus will be developing and maintaining existing frameworks used on the server back end. The frameworks run the game logic and handle most of the resource management; parallelization and data serialization, synchronization and caching. The frameworks are written in C#/.NET
We are offering a full-time position in our office in central Copenhagen, where you will be part of a team of highly experienced developers.
- Develop and maintain the server software
- Monitor and improve server performance and scalability
- Work with the other programmers to improve the frameworks
- Master’s degree in software engineering or similar background
- Good English skills (written and spoken)
- Must have relevant work permit
- Strong skills in C# is a must.
- Experience with multithreaded/distributed programming
- Experience with client/server programming.
- Experience with SQL and DB performance tuning
Pretty soon we’re going to be getting underway with a mammoth undertaking, as we prepare to push the big red button on a range of operations designed to drive greater interest in our special little home we like to call Heroes & Generals.
Which means you lot are going to have lots more people to shoot at.
It involves a big server migration, as we first mentioned earlier this month – but now all the plans are locked down we wanted to share more details, so you can see the scale of the project at hand.
Here’s what we’re improving:
- Server stability – better hardware means fewer crashes and a smoother experience
- Security – further safeguards to personal information
- Performance – particularly on the campaign map… which we’re very happy about
- Overall scalability – so moah players doesn’t mean moah laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag
The server migration will now be taking place on Monday 27th January 2014. During this migration, the servers will be down for approximately 10-12 hours, starting at around 0900 CET (click here to see when this is in your time zone), so you’ll be unable to play the game during this time.
Looking slightly further ahead, we’ve got a shiny new website waiting in the wings – we’re expecting deployment on Friday 31st and we’re looking forward to bringing everything together in a way that makes it easier to navigate. Here’s a sneak peek to give you an idea of the look and feel of things ahead of the switch:
Following the new site launch, the next part of the plan is a big change to our customer support structure on March 5th, better enabling us to look after soldiers who run into trouble in the line of duty.
So thanks for your ongoing support – there are big, big days ahead for Heroes & Generals, and we’re very glad to have you along for the ride.
We’ve had to postpone the server move, sorry for the confusion!
UPDATE: We’ve had to postpone the server move, sorry for the confusion!
We’ll be migrating our servers
Thursday 9th Jan 2014, so there will be significant downtime whilst this takes place.
The servers will be down for approximately 10-12 hours, starting at around 0900 CET (click here to see when this is in your timezone)